My Account | Login | Help
Official City of Spokane Websites
Find... Find... QuickNav to...
Advanced Find Help
city of spokane - taxes & licenses division Cloudy
Tuesday, September 23rd - 3:18 AM
Contact Info
City of Spokane
Taxes & Licenses
1st Floor
808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.
Spokane, WA 99201

Phone (509) 625-6070
Fax (509) 625-6990


Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm


What do I need to do before I apply for a business registration?

You have many decisions you need to make before you apply for a business registration.

The following are some resources to help you get started.

Local Resources
Business & Development Services Department

State Resources
Doing business in Washington
Business Licensing Service 
Dept of Labor & Industries
Dept of Revenue
Employment Security Dept
Secretary of State
Gambling Commission
Liquor Control Board

Federal Resources
Internal Revenue Service
US Small Business Administration
Service Corps of Retired Execs (SCORE)
US Patent & Trademark Office

How do I apply for a business registration?

On-line - The fastest way to file!

Online applications are typically processed within two business days. It may take up to 21 days if you file by mail.

By Mail

  1. Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Guide.
  2. 2. Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:

    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507-9034

What are the fees associated with a business registration?

BASE FEE: $110.00 per 12 month period

TEMPORARY REGISTRATION: $55.00 for first 90 days, $45.00 to renew for additional 90 days if renewed within the first 90 day license period.

BRANCH FEE: $110.00 for each additional location. Mobile carts or other mobile units from which business is conducted is considered an additional location.


Personnel Definition:
Any person employed by or at any business within the City and/or persons who perform any part of their duties within the City of Spokane.

Personnel include:

  • All officers, agents, dealers, LLC members, etc. of a corporation or business trust.
  • All partners
  • Each part-time and each temporary person must be included in personnel count / fee. 
Number of Personnel Fee Per Person*
1 through 5 $10.00 each
6 through 10 $15.00 each
11 or more $20.00 each

*Per Person Fee is based on the total number of personnel working at each location.

NON PROFIT ENTITIES: Nonprofit entities which have received certification from the state and/or federal government are entitled to a reduced registration fee. The reduced business registration fee is one-half the basic registration fee plus inspection or other applicable fees or charges. Nonprofit businesses are exempt from personnel fees. Any applicant for a reduced fee registration mush present sufficient proof of nonprofit status as granted by the state or federal government.

BUSINESS SITE EVALUATION FEE: Site evaluation fees apply ONLY to businesses located within the City limits with any of the following criteria:

  • new businesses, or
  • new business owners, or
  • relocated businesses, or
  • additional sites for an existing business, or
  • if customers visit a business located at a residence.

Fees are calculated based on the following information:

Residential Location
If customers visit the residence a processing fee is required: $25.00
If clients receive care of reside in the home a Safety Evaluation Fee is required: $90.00

Commercial Location
Processing fee for evaluation of low-hazard general office: $25.00
Safety evaluation fee (includes processing fee): $90.00
Carts & Booths that have ignition sources, flammable liquids or solids need the safety evaluation fee.

Do I qualify for a reduced-fee registration?

Taxpayers whose gross business revenues do not exceed $18,000 per calendar year are "eligible persons" entitled to a reduced business registration fee. You must provide IRS filed documents as proof of gross revenues. For computation of gross revenues, revenue from outside the city is not included. Gross revenues means the revenues to the taxpaying entity and are not computed separately for each individual partner, principal, employee, or other constituent part of the taxpayer. Please call (509) 625-6070 if you have further questions.

Do I need a business site evaluation?

Site evaluation fees apply ONLY to businesses located within the City limits with any of the following criteria:

  • new businesses, or
  • new business owners, or
  • relocated businesses, or
  • additional sites for an existing business, or
  • if customers visit a business located at a residence. 

What special permits do I need for a restaurant business?

For information on Food Service and On-site Waste Disposal System Permits, visit the Spokane Regional Health District website.

How do I apply for a temporary registration?

Businesses engaging in business in the City for a period of ninety days or less within a twelve-month period, or businesses without any permanent location either within or without the City, may obtain a temporary business registration in lieu of a regular business registration. (SMC 10.40.010)

Temporary registrations are good for 90 days. Please fill out a Temporary Business Registration Application

A temporary registration is $55.00 for first 90 days.

If you find you will be operating your business more than the 90 days, you may renew for an additional 90 day period.

  • If you renew prior to the expiration of the original 90 day registration, your renewal fee is $45.00.

You may want to consider applying for a regular business registration if you expect to be in business for over 90 days.

A business site evaluation fee may also apply.

Do I need an Itinerant Vendor Permit?

A business with a regular or temporary business registration must have a separate Itinerant Vendor Permit under any of the following circumstances:

  • Where the person is eligible for a business registration, and is engaged in the business of selling or delivering goods or services within the City from a fixed or temporary location as an itinerant vendor. Examples are people selling food or wares from mobile carts on the sidewalk or roving vehicles in the streets.
  • Where the person travels from door to door as the principle means of conducting business offering, exposing for sale, or selling within the City any goods, merchandise, service or product.
  • Where the person engages in any business in the City with no permanent location.

How do I apply for an Itinerant Vendor Permit?

How to contact us

We are located on the 1st floor of City Hall in downtown Spokane.

Contact Information can be found on the menu bar on the left.

Back Top...
[ Home | Government | Services | Business | Departments | Jobs | Links ] [ My Account | Help | Feedback ] is the official website of the City of Spokane, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., Spokane, WA 99201.
Need further assistance? Please call the City Customer Service Desk at (509) 755-CITY or visit the City feedback page.
Use of this website constitutes your acceptance of the website disclaimer and terms of use.
Your privacy is important to us, for more information see our privacy policy.