My Account | Login | Help
Official City of Spokane Websites
Find... Find... QuickNav to...
Advanced Find Help
city of spokane taxes & licenses division Cloudy
Wednesday, October 1st - 1:11 AM
Contact Info
City of Spokane
Taxes & Licenses
1st Floor
808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.
Spokane, WA 99201

Phone (509) 625-6070
Fax (509) 625-6990


Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm

Other City Licenses/registrations/permits

The following licenses may be required in addition to a business license.

Amusement device license

  • Every amusement device operator is required to have a current amusement device operator's license.
  • Every amusement device owner is required to have a current amusement device owner's license.
  • Before an amusement device is placed for use by the public, an amusement device operator must obtain an amusement device license for each amusement device. When two or more amusement devices each capable of independent operation are placed within one container, each is considered a separate device.
  • The licenses required by this chapter are Class IIA licenses as provided in Chapter 4.04.

Failure to obtain either an amusement device operator's or owner's license or an amusement device license is a class 3 infraction.

Amusement device application.

Entertainment Facility license

"Entertainment Facilty" is any hotel, restaurant, café, club, tavern, or similar place where live entertainment involving music, singing, dancing, or other similar entertainment is presented to the public, together with food or alcohol.

An “amusement facility,” or “entertainment facility,” is any business, club, or location that is required to have a City business license or permit in accordance with chapter 4.04 SMC where concerts, dances, carnivals, circuses, teen club, all-ages venue, or a cabaret is presented to the public as a regular course of doing business, not including:

  1. a government entity, public or private schools or college; or
  2. a facility operated by an organization which has been recognized as exempt from federal income taxation and when the entertainment activities are but an occasional activity not related to the facility's primary purposes; or
  3. licensed businesses whose primary function is to provide products or services and where the entertainment provided is not material to the economic viability of the business.

Entertainment Facility license application

Charitable Solicitation permit

A permit is required for charitable solicitation.

  • "Charitable purposes" means any benevolent, philanthropic, educational, patriotic, civic, fraternal, or religious purpose, actual or purported.
  • To "solicit" means to request money, credit, goods, merchandise, time, or other assistance, financial or otherwise, upon the representation that it will be used for charitable purposes. Requests under this section may be oral or written and may include the offering for sale of articles and the making of announcements of and the invitation and sales of admission to events upon the claim that the proceeds shall be used for charitable or religious purpose.
  • A permit is not required for solicitation by members of a charitable or religious organization among its members or persons present at a regular meeting of the organization.

A charitable solicitation permit is a class I license as provided in Chapter 4.04.

Itinerant Vendor Permit

A regular or temporary business registration issued under ch. 8.01 SMC must have an Itinerant Vendor Permit under any of the following circumstances:

  • Where the person is eligible for a city registration, and is engaged in the business of selling or delivering goods or services within the city from a fixed or temporary location as an itinerant vendor. Examples are people selling food or wares from mobile carts on the sidewalk or roving vehicles in the streets.
  • Where the person travels from door to door as the principle means of conducting business offering, exposing for sale, or selling within the city any goods, merchandise, service, or product.
  • Where the person engages in any business in the city with no permanent location.

Businesses with a an itinerant vendor permit are required to:

  • refrain from using excessively noisy devices or methods to attract public attention to his wares or services and from shouting or calling his wares or services in a loud or boisterous manner;
  • keep all conveyances and containers for foodstuffs and edibles clean and sanitary and to keep all consumables well covered and protected from all dirt, insects or other contamination;
  • refrain from standing, by person or vehicle, upon any public way more than ten minutes in any one place;
  • move from a location adjacent to another's place of business or residence when requested by someone in charge of such business or residence;
  • move from a location included within the boundaries of a special event when requested by the chief of police or someone in charge of such special event;
  • refrain from any illegal, fraudulent or deceptive practice;
  • have upon his person for display upon inquiry by any person a copy of the City permit and, in addition, documents showing he is authorized by the copyright or trademark owner to sell the goods concerned.

Itinerant Vendor Application

Special Event Permit

A Special Event Permit is required for any organized activity involving the use of, or having impact upon public:

  • Property
  • Facilities
  • Parks
  • Sidewalks
  • Streets
  • Waterways

Depending on where the event will be held, certain City department(s) will act as the main contact. Once applications are received, the originating department will notify all other City departments that need to be involved with the upcoming event. Each department will review the application for anything that may require special conditions, inspections, permits, or licenses. Once the Special Event Permit is approved, the event can occur.

Event Location: Contact:
On public street or waterways (Block Parties) Police Department / Public Works
In buildings, on public or private property, entertainment facilities, malls, hotels, school, auditoriums Fire Department
In City parks Parks & Recreation
Circus, carnivals or concerts held on either public or private property Taxes &l Licenses Division
Beer gardens or alcohol services at events Police Department
Back Top...
[ Home | Government | Services | Business | Departments | Jobs | Links ] [ My Account | Help | Feedback ] is the official website of the City of Spokane, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., Spokane, WA 99201.
Need further assistance? Please call the City Customer Service Desk at (509) 755-CITY or visit the City feedback page.
Use of this website constitutes your acceptance of the website disclaimer and terms of use.
Your privacy is important to us, for more information see our privacy policy.